[Mplayer-users] amazing divx

mgraffam at idsi.net mgraffam at idsi.net
Wed May 2 22:15:25 CEST 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Jean-Luc Fontaine wrote:

> I played yesterday a dune 2000 episode (the first) and found the quality
> simply amazing, far better than anything I have seen so far (looks like a DVD
> as far as I am concerned), while still playable on my K6-2 400 / Savage 4
> machine (around 75% CPU average).

I have a Savage 4 AGP card sitting here unused. How do you get Xv working
on the Savage 4? Might be time for me to switch video cards around again
:)

> I would be very interested in knowing your opinion and how that was
> generated. Please let me know if you want me to upload a few megabytes.

I've seen some really good quality DivX too. It's all about resolution
and bitrate. One good method for producing high quality DivX from analog
sources is this:

Get a realtime MPEG encoder like the Dazzle, and grab at 640x480 or
higher (720x540 is nice). You'll have your entire MPEG movie in say,
two hours. Of course, if you're ripping from DVD you can just skip this
step.

Now use mpeg2divx. You can control the output resolution and bitrate.

What I do is chop up the MPEG stream into a few smaller chunks. A
fast-action sequence, detailed sequence, etc and run mpeg2divx on those
chunks, using a bit of intuition and trial and error to maximize the
visual quality for each representative sequence. 10 - 20 minutes of
toying, and I set the machine to encode the whole movie.

18 hours later, I have a DivX movie that fits on 1 CD, looks great and
plays on my K6/2 500 :)

--
Michael Graffam (mgraffam at idsi.net)
The importance of a suburban struggle has usually been underestimated;