[Mplayer-users] Fwd: subtitles

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue May 15 14:07:58 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > I for one would love to be able to speed up, slow down the subtitle
> > appearance (like can be done with + and - for the video). Very often
> > subtitles don't run in sync after a while :(
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jelmer Feenstra
>
> Subtitles dont have "reason" to run faster or slower.
> Maybe you have subs measured in fps (frames per second) and
> video has different fps than subtitles. In this case
> you have to explicitly define subtititles fps with -subfps switch.
> Well, stone me if I am mistaken.

I have bad subs too, with out of sync. And I think I know the problem.
DVD has mpeg2, usually progressive streams. its fps variables between
24-30 fps, depending on scene complexity etc.
subs grabbed from such dvd disks can be bad for constant framerate
divx avi files, and run out of sync sometimes. for example i have
sub working with -subfps 26.25 fps... it's usually in sync, but
sometimes (at slower parts, maybe there was low fps rate originally)
it's bad.

Another question is that sub is synced to audio or video? I think that
frame-based subs are for video and time-based for audio. right?

Something like +/- can be added easily, just increment/decrement the
sub_delay variable by for example 0.1
But I don't know which keys are the best for it. Any ideas?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu