Tv capabilities (was: Re: [Mplayer-users] recording tool?)

Michael Hunold M.Hunold at t-online.de
Tue May 15 18:46:02 CEST 2001

Hello Arpi and others,

> > mplayer is amazing in playing, next step should be recording :-)
> no. next step is encoding, third is watching tv and finally we can
> add encoding from tv.

If you are really thinking about adding tv capabilities to
"mplayer" someday, I'd like to provide my assistance in
making this part as good as the rest of "mplayer".

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself:
My name is Michael Hunold, I'm living in Lower
Saxony, Germany and I am studying
mathematics and computer science.

For three years now I am developing linux device
drivers for video hardware that is based on the
saa7146 chipset by Philips Seminconductors.

It can be roughly compared to the Bt8x8 chipsets,
but it can mostly be found on professional video
equipment.

Have a look at
http://www.mihu.de/linux
for further informations and detailed descriptions.

My driver supports the new Video4Linux-2 API (v4l2),
the successor of the "old" kernel Video4Linux-1 API.

v4l2 has many advantages and is a complete overhaul.
It is currently pushed heavily towards the upcoming
2.5.x kernel series.

I have submitted many patches for applications that
are still v4l1-based -- I am currently working on
a patch for "ffmpeg", too, but I did not contact
the author yet.

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

If you starting to add tv-capabilities to "mplayer",
I'd really like to support you with this.

CU
Michael.