[Mplayer-users] My first correct(?) bug-report... (fwd)

Christoph H. Lampert gruel at gmx.de
Fri May 18 00:17:23 CEST 2001

Am Freitag, 18. Mai 2001 00:09 schrieben Sie:
> It's the Question that drives us, Christoph Lampert :
> > Boy, writing bugreports is hard work. Btw. I didn't find anything on
> > signal 8 or "wmv" in the famous DOCS/BUGS DOCS/TODO file. So I'm writing
> > you the list... now let's see what the result is.
>
> Next time check the "famous" codecs.conf file.

I grepped over all files for "wmv", and saw that it's in codecs.conf.
Of course I didn't read the "status: crashing" line, that would have been
to intelligent.

But honestly: There are millions of clever places where to put
the information that a codec is not working. But  codecs.conf
is surely non of it. I thought it would be "supported" codecs,
not "unsupported".

And since you're reading from codecs.conf anyway, why not check
that the loaded codec is marked running at all? Crashing with SIGFPE
is such an ugly way for a program to die.

gruel