[Mplayer-users] sound drivers

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon May 21 16:02:20 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > Our code is GPL (but based on maybe illegal docs... i mean that both mpeg
> > and asf docs are illegal to use and distribute freely)
> > and we are using libs and other code parts which aren't GPL .
>  And those are not GPL-compatible nor OpenSource?
> One could somehow get around libs ( like with dcss), but those 'other code
> parts' could be tricky.
I think they can't be. Maybe re-writting near everything, but who needs it?
And who wants it? We have not enough free time for even delevoping, nor for
rewritting already working code...

Read DOCS/AUTHORS, there are listed other projects and poeople whose
code is used. It's too lot.

> I wonder if there is any possibility for mplayer to became 'legal'.
> ( ie - those windoze dll's aren't neede for mplayer to operate, only
> for some special cases, using say BSD licence could ease getting mplayer
> together etc..)
Yes... maybe we can disable everything whic is not GPL. But who needs
a free GPL mpeg/avi file demuxer ?  :))))
(because asf parser, mpeg decoder, mp3/ac3/ulaw/msgsm decoders,
win32 stuff and all other parts aren't GPL)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu