[Mplayer-users] screensaver

Louis Tsui louis at eea094.ee.ust.hk
Tue May 22 12:26:41 CEST 2001

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 12:23:49PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > It's the Question that drives us, Louis Tsui :
> > > I use Xv output and KDE screensaver or xautolock.  I believe they use
> > > SCREEN-SAVER extension to detect the idle time.
> > Please try if mplayer manages to disable the _normal_ X screensaver, i.e.
> > try with "twm" window manager.
>
> or simply run 'xset q' to check is it really disabled while playing a movie
> with mplayer. btw i think that KDE ignores the screensaver extension and
> uses own files/settings :(
> (just like for window properties)

Since I need screen lock instead of screen save, I don't use DPMS or screen
blanking at all.

Anyway, I just tried SDL output in fullscreen and it does disable the KDE
screenlock. I found one more thing that mplayer is better than aviplay is
that mplayer resizes the movie to screen size before go to SDL fullscreen.
In aviplay, I have to maximize the window first but then the aspect ratio
can't be maintained.

Really thanks for the great player.

Regards,
Louis