[MPlayer-users] "shit" S3 drivers? (fwd)

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Fri Nov 2 01:54:55 CET 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:47:01 -0800
From: Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com>
To: Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net>
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] "shit" S3 drivers? (fwd)

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:02:52 -0800 (PST), Dan Hollis wrote:

>And what about YV12 support? The driver has very slow conversion code, it
>should be optimized. And what about using DMA for vidoe transfer? It
>eats too many CPU time now.

Optimizing YV12 transfers would come in about #68 on my to-do list.  I cannot
imagine a multimedia application that produces ONLY YV12.

The Savage driver currently does no DMA at all right now, mostly because I
haven't wanted to screw with a kernel driver.  If someone ever digs into DRI
support, then we'll get a kernel driver and we can talk about DMA.

>What about Xv support for Trio64 cards? AFAIK they have hardware YUV overlay
>support. The drivers should support it.

I suspect you're right.  I have no data on the Trio64, and I'm not involved
in that driver.  Just the Savage.

The streams engines for all the early chips are fairly similar.  Maybe you
would want to take a shot at porting the ViRGE xvideo driver to the Trio64?
That's the way most of these drivers get developed: someone who cares digs in
and makes it happen.

>And what about the very poor performance of AGP Trio3D/2x drivers? I
>required 5 times more CPU time to transfer a 320x200x32bpp image as my
>oldy PCI ET6000. (it was with 4.0.2, maybe already fixed, but I already
>replaced that card by ATI mach64)

No clue.  The Trio3D/2X, as you probably know, is really a ViRGE that was
cursed by marketing with a bad name.  I thought the ViRGE driver was in
pretty good shape.

- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.