[MPlayer-users] arbitrary file location seeks & "remote" control?

Kees Cook kees at outflux.net
Fri Nov 2 18:37:24 CET 2001

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:22:57PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > How possible would it be to do file position seeks?
> see -ss and -sb options.

Yeah, -sb will do for the GOP start, but I'd like to be able to stop
playing after X byte using some existing (or hacked in) option.

> btw, if you want to use mplayer's stuff in your app, you should get
> mplayer.c and modify for your needs - set the start/end file position after
> opening the stream so it will play only that bytes.

Hm.  That's a possibility, but I was hoping to just do IPC to control a
running mplayer.  (To produce something that is visually similar to using
"-gui".)  I don't want to have to keep patching my prog whenever a
new mplayer comes out.  :)

What I imagined was similar to the -gui option.  Maybe -pipe or something
that would take specific line-at-a-time commands from stdin (instead of
the regular keyboard controls).  That way, any tool could pipe/fork/exec
to mplayer, and control it "open FILE" "seek-to..." "play" "pause", etc.
Just an idea.  :)

--
Kees Cook                                            @outflux.net