[MPlayer-users] Re: files in ftp/incoming

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Fri Nov 2 18:38:41 CET 2001

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 04:22:43PM +0000, Tony Lambley wrote:

> Is that the "nv" driver? I had opengl problems until I used the binary
> "nvidia" driver (g2mx400).

Yes. As I understand it, Nvidia keeps the 3D info to themselves, so any
opengl you would run with the nv driver would probably be completely
software rendered.

It seems to me their attitude is overprotective, as if someone could
really design a rivaling 3D chip based on open drivers... Then again,
3dfx was open and now they are dead. But perhaps that had more to do
with their products than the info they gave out about them.