[MPlayer-users] DVD + -autoq in 0.50

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Nov 5 13:00:25 CET 2001

Hi,

> > btw, why do you need it for DVD? its' for low bitrate stuff.
> err... because I can ? ;)
> Seriously, I didnt notice any quality improvements with things like -pp
> either (not for DVD), but there's a few artifacts i noticed in the movie
> that really bothered me :/ (small "echos" around the yellow letters of the
> title-screen, etc)... wanted to see if i could throw a little extra
> CPU-time against it to get rid of 'em.
they came from 4:2:0 encoding. you can't get rid ...
(colors are coded half resolution, so at colored contours it will echo)

> Btw, while I'm wasting mailbox-space, anyway:
> Is there anyone who (with playing dvd's) has noticed a sort of silent
> "bubbling/chiming" effect ?
> While watching 7 years in Tibet, i noticed that the sound had a sort of
> low-bitrate mp3-like "bubbling" effect.. but very high pitched.
> It was only easily noticable during very silent scenes with violin music
> on the background, etc, but it was present during the whole movie.
is it ac3 sound? maybe a bug in the decoder.
recompile mplayer without mmx/etc optimizations, if it's ok then, it was bad
code :(  (report us, we'll fix)

> Same question: Is this a known issue, or is this inherent to aac3 sound
> decoding ?.. or is it my soundcard ? ;) (maestro2 builtin).
maestro cards sux. at least their drivers...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu