[MPlayer-users] Mencoder, mplayer: bug reports & feature requests

Michael Hunold m.hunold at gmx.de
Mon Nov 5 23:29:00 CET 2001

Hello *,

first of all: thanks Arpi! "mencoder" is the
application I have waited for so long. Thanks!

Here are some things I noticed, when trying to
encode a DVD called "The Magic Sword" (a cartoon)
using the CVS version from today evening
(22.00, MESZ). I double check the problems
with another DVD called "A bug's life".

1) If I start "mencoder" with verbose option, I
can see that it recognizes the different audio
streams inside:

==> Found audio stream: 133
==> Found audio stream: 131
==> Found audio stream: 130
==> Found audio stream: 129
==> Found audio stream: 128
==> Found audio stream: 132

But when I use the "-aid 129" switch, "mencoder"
scans the whole DVD and aborts with the following
error message. In fact it does so with all values
from above.

"mplayer -dvd 1 -aid 129" works fine.

2) There is a typo in the "mencoder" manpage. It
says:

>      -lameopts
>              If encoding to MP3 with libmp3lame, you can specify
>              its parameters here, like:
>
>                -lameopts vbr=192

The "vbr" switch can only range between 0 and 4, the bitrate can
be specified with the "br=192" switch.

3) What about a resizing option for the encoded video?

Then it would be possible to downsize videos or aspect-correct
anamorphic coded DVDs.

4) What about a split option (like -split 650M) to split the
output video stream to several output files while encoding.
Of course one must think about possible problems with
the two-pass encoding here. (Are there any problems?)
But if it is not possible, at least for direct stream copy
this option should be added.

5) If a DVD has many titles and chapters, it's annoying that
it takes so long when "libdvdread" tries to retrieve all the
CSS keys. Is this really necessary?

Didn't older versions of "mplayer" use some other method
or another library? Why was this changed?

CU
Michael.