[MPlayer-users] Illegal binaries...

lanzz at lanzz.org lanzz at lanzz.org
Thu Nov 8 10:54:14 CET 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Balazs Lengyak wrote:

> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> > yeah, source and binaries are just an information. Only one difference between source and binaries is that source can be read easier by human. So if source is legal than even binaries are legal but as has been said it's illegal to use it.
> > BR
> But then an again, a binary is just ONE NUMBER. Large number, yes, but still
> a natural number. Question is, how large numbers can be protected by
> copyright? Say, I copyright 0, and Arpi copyrigths 1, and then on, no binary
> could be released without our permission because every binary consists of
> just our binaries in various order. ;)

but then again, source saved in a file (not on paper) is also one large number ;)
i can make a random generator that sooner or later (well, later :)) will produce
the winboze source code, for example. have i stolen anything then? do i have to
pay M$ to license the output of my random generator? :) am i going to jail if it
generates a binary decss?

i know! let's make random number generators illegal! those sneaky bastards! :)