[MPlayer-users] Illegal binaries...

Petr Ketner pke at gncz.cz
Thu Nov 8 11:04:38 CET 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:42:29 +0100 Balazs Lengyak <mplayer at kign.org> wrote:

> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> > yeah, source and binaries are just an information. Only one difference
between source and binaries is that source can be read easier by human. So if
source is legal than even binaries are legal but as has been said it's illegal
to use it.
> > BR
> But then an again, a binary is just ONE NUMBER. Large number, yes, but still
> a natural number. Question is, how large numbers can be protected by
> copyright? Say, I copyright 0, and Arpi copyrigths 1, and then on, no binary
> could be released without our permission because every binary consists of
> just our binaries in various order. ;)

??? You mean when I encode for for example 2001: Space Odyssey into number code
I can distribute it cause in this form it is not copyrighted? I don't think so.
BTW source files in computer memory are also just numbers (ASCII codes). As I
said only ONE difference between source and binaries is that source is easier to
read by human.
BR