[MPlayer-users] C Programming

Arnd Marijnissen grimm at cistron.nl
Fri Nov 9 12:55:45 CET 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Jamil Buchalla Neto wrote:

> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> I used to play with assembly under DOS and some other stuffs and also
> played with Clipper (I hate that one) and Delphi (don't like it too).

It's nice that you tell us this...

> As for C, I can read a C code and understand a nice part of it but I
> never sit down and started a project or something like this

euhm... okay ?

> I wish to know if anyone can indicate me a nice tutorial to begin C
> programing or a book.

Apart from the fact that you're not particularly posting this to an
appropriate mailinglist at all... i suggest you get your hands on
"Kernighan & Ritchie: The C programming Language" (aka K&R C)

Brian W Kernighan and Dennis M Ritchie are/were the developers of the C
language and this book is probably a must-have for anyone serious about
the language. It's a good, concise guide to how C works and what makes it
tick. It has a few appendices explaining basic library functions, etc.

Then there's another book called "A book about C" (A B C).. dunno the
author but it pops up often enough to be worth a mention here.

Ofcourse, once you understand C, it becomes important to understand your
OS's library functions and system-calls before you get anywhere ;)

--
 Justageek