[MPlayer-users] Re: crossover

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Nov 10 19:12:10 CET 2001

Hi,

> >From what I understand, with crossover, wine loads the
> quicktime player which in turn loads it's codecs.
> MPlayer loads the win32 codecs directly via the wine
> loader.
>
> installed in
> ~/crossover/support/dotwine/fake_windows/Windows/System/QuickTime
> are QuickTimeEssentials.qtx along with some wine
> dll's.
yes, i know

> I was just wondering if someone found any
> documentation on what these .qtx files are.
.qtx files are component plugins, some of them are codecs.
note, that sorenson codecs are not in .qtx files.

> At the openquicktime site it says all codecs are
> dynamic libraries.
> I was wondering if the dynamic-library-codecs for open
> quicktime, such as 3vix, follow a similar convention
> to the dynamic-library-codecs used by the windows
> quicktime player?
no, totally different way.

there is a file called quicktime.qts, it seems to contains
the whole qt player core, and most of the codecs, including
sorensons. the file is 4MB...

the main problem, which keeps us back from getting it work:
there is something between the applications and the components
(codec etc plugins). it is the qt core, it is an interface.
unfortunatelly it is not documented at all.
plugins has a single function exported, it behaves as a gateway,
it gets an function id number and a data block, and it calls
the internal functions returning stuff. the bad thing: nobody
really know how it works, what are the function codes, what
is the format of data block etc. it's a black box with no window.

qt sdk just defines application-level and component-level functions,
they are the 2 side of blackbox. but as we should implement the
blackbox itself to get it working, it's too hard.

if someone interested, download and erad qt5 docs and sdk from apple,
and start to hack loader/qtx/qtxload.c and get it working.
i gave it up, seems to impossible to do without having sources of
qt core.

for the non-coder users:
having a .DLL doesn't mean we can use it.
having a .DLL and the full specs of its interface means we _may_ can use it.
but we don't have the specs...
adn we aren't win32 hackers to do reverse engineering and find out what are
the parameters of the gateway function and how and which order to use them.

if someone is interested, i said: do it. but don't expect more from us, it's
over our abilities.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu