[MPlayer-users] "Convert your AVI/VOB/FooBar to DivX4 + VBR MP3" ????

marpet at linuxpl.org marpet at linuxpl.org
Sat Nov 10 17:52:52 CET 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 18:14:44 +0200 (CEST)
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> now, the story, from my viewpoint.
> note, that i know well people working on divx4 and opendivx.
> so. there were a company, named project mayo, who decided to open the source
> of their codec.
> 1. they never did it GPL or so, they had own sepcial license,
> allowing them to turn it back to closed. so independent people working on it
> knew this option.
> 2. they didn't accepted patches from independent people. i also did lots of
> speedup optimization and other bugfixes, they exists only in our fork in
> mplayer cvs.
> 3. even GPL allows to authors to change license, even to closed source, if
> _all_ the authors agree. as a good example: Eugene K. wasn't member of project
> mayo, but he is employee of it since closing the project.
> 4. they had the reason to close the source: 1. a rival company started to steal
> their code...  2. divx 3 compatibility not alowed in open source.
> (don't ask details, i don't know more about this)
> 5. opendivx still exists, and still open for people who worked on it and
> wants it. just think that projectmayo guys stopped opendivx development, and
> writting a new codec (divx4), reusing _their_own_ old code from opendivx.

NOW it sounds reasonably. Saying "we don't care if the code was stolen
or not, we make mplayer and nothing else matters" was rather... not
mature (Arpi, it was not you to say it so don't flame me ;).

So now I can see your point and NOW I can buy it...

regards

--
Marek Pętlicki <marpet at linuxpl.org>
Linux User ID=162988