[MPlayer-users] mencoder, file sizes

Dariusz Pietrzak dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl
Sun Nov 11 22:17:59 CET 2001

Hello,
 Situation is like this - I tried to compress some files from .mpg
format to divx, using both mencoder and transcode some time ago.
 Sometimes output is just great - 4x smaller filesize, ideal quality,
but sometimes it goes very bad - divx4 is almost the same as input, and
sometimes even up to 20% larger.
 It seems there is some corelation between source quality and compression
- when source is very good I get big gains on filesize, when it's ok there
is no noticable gain, and when source movie quality is poor, then divx4
gets bigger.

 Is this supposed to be like this? Or am I doing sth stupid?
I haven't tried 2pass thing, but i suppose this would change things a lot.
Maybe I should apply some postprocessing/smoothing to the source movie and
then try to compress it?

btw, mencoder/mplayer is great, I tried watching test.avi while it was
beeing generated, and it went quite well, and all this on k6-2-500.

--
Dariusz Pietrzak
snafu