[MPlayer-users] mencoder audio bitrate.

Tomi Ollila Tomi.Ollila at sonera.com
Tue Nov 13 11:02:39 CET 2001

Tuesday Nov 13 10:14:17 +0200 2001 Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > The `-lameopts br=xxx' doesn't seem to have any effect on file
> > output (size and contents).
>
> as lame defaults to vbr, and br has no sense in vbr mode.
> select abr (average bitrate) or cbr (constant br) mode (rtfm)
>
> in vbr mode only quality affects size

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Thanks for educating me -- I thought I knew enough by reading
mencoder manual page and checked/tested some things in mencoder
source. Just reading lame documentation would have helped a lot.

One (or two) suggestions to the mencoder.1

There is example `-lameopts br=128'. Now everyone who reads this
email, knows that is currently effectively no-op. I suggest the
example is changed like `-lameopts cbr:br=128' or `...vbr=3:br=128'

Additionally, before lameopts `Available options:' add:

"See also lame documentation to understand what these options mean".

Tomi