[MPlayer-users] Mencoder wrapper script

Samuel Kesterson samuelk at datatrade.com
Sun Nov 18 04:27:41 CET 2001

Thus spake Felix Buenemann on Saturday 17 November 2001 06:21 am:

> hmm, isn't the script a little overkill,

	For me, yes. I tried to make it as friendly to people who would be using it
as possible by shortening some of the arguments a bit and the like. The one I
use looks like this (but then I encode mine the same each time) ....

------------------------------ SNIP ---------------------------
#!/bin/bash

mencoder -dvd $1 -aid $2 -ovc divx4 -oac mp3lame -o $3 -pass 1 && \
mencoder -dvd $1 -aid $2 -ovc divx4 -oac mp3lame -o $3 -pass 2 &

------------------------------- SNIP ---------------------------

> something like this would IMHO be
> sufficient:
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> # Two pass MEncoder helper script
> # Copyleft by Felix Buenemann <atmosfear at users dot sourceforge dot net>
> use strict;
> my $mencoder="mencoder"; # Path to MEncoder (including binary name)
>
> die "No arguments given!\n" unless @ARGV;
>
> for(my $i=1; $i<=2; $i++) {
> 	system($mencoder, at ARGV," -pass $i")
> 		and die "MEncoder pass $i failed!\n"
> }

	Use what works for ya. Your's is smaller to be sure.  Like I said though, I
posted it for anyone that might want to use it, not for approval. :-/

(P.S. My wife tells me this reply sounds pissy. It's not intended that way.)

--
Samuel Kesterson
skesterson at earthlink.net