[MPlayer-users] ANNOUNCE: new ./configure script

Dirk Pritsch dp-privat at gmx.net
Mon Nov 19 15:11:00 CET 2001

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:51:52PM +0100, pl wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:15:26PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> [...]
> > > Ok, it didn't come to my mind but yes, it's a solution :)

At least in debian lspci is in the pciutils package (priority: optional),
which isn't installed on every box (and just installing only for mplayer's
configure?...  um... :/ )

IMHO you should use something common in all kernels, which doesn't
require to install additional software, and /proc would eventually be
the best choice. What about /proc/bus/pci/devices which gives you the
vendor id ?

> > >   How do I know if fb support is enabled in kernel (I could lsmod but if
> > >   statically linked...) ?
> > i think it can be enabled by default, if headers (fbdev.h ???) available.
>
> fb headers are always available in linux/fb.h provided your C install is
> OK.

With kernel 2.4:

root at localhost:~ #cat /proc/fb
0 ATY Mach64

root at localhost:~ #cat /proc/devices |grep fb
 29 fb

root at localhost:~ #cat /proc/ksyms |grep fbcon
c01c664c fbcon_redraw_bmove_R5b61728f
c01c6600 fbcon_redraw_clear_Rf98e0fc7
.
.