[MPlayer-users] rtc_pie_on permission denied

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Mon Nov 19 22:14:25 CET 2001

On Monday 19 November 2001 21:04, you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After compiling mplayer cvs 2001119 i get rtc init open permission
> denied when playing movies, it did play movies but with the error. After
> changing the permissions of /dev/rtc to rw for the group users it turned
> in to rtc_pie_on permission denied. After reading the archive i noticed
> that it will help smoothe viewing avi's, does anyone know how i fix
> this?
>
> The errorline=
> Linux RTC init: ioctl (rtc_pie_on): Permission denied
> I'm using suse 7.2 on an athlon 900

kernel source, drivers/char/rtc.c

                /*
                 * We don't really want Joe User enabling more
                 * than 64Hz of interrupts on a multi-user machine.
                 */
                if ((rtc_freq > 64) && (!capable(CAP_SYS_RESOURCE)))
                        return -EACCES;

So, you can either

edit that (mplayer wants 1024) and recompile the kernel driver, set mplayer
suid root, or simply run it as root.