[MPlayer-users] Fwd: Re: Comments from Project's WWW

Daniil V. Kolpakov dan at vsi.gov.lv
Thu Nov 22 20:26:00 CET 2001

[sending this again, had trouble mailing]

Hi, that's about the warpvision. I'm using mplayer, like it, and visit
it's homepage every day :). I'm russian as well. I've contacted authors
of warpvision, and here it their reply. I'll try to translate it to
english (other russian, correct me if I wrong).

> Subject: Re: Comments from Project's WWW
> Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:12:13 +0300 (MST)
> From: "Konstantin Okounkov" <admin at os2.ru>
> To: "Daniil V. Kolpakov" <dan at riga.lv>, "Daniil V. Kolpakov"

> Привет!
Hi!

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:17:56 +0200, Daniil V. Kolpakov wrote:
> >Народ, неужели вы и вправду скомуниздили MPlayer с
> >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/? Устроит ответ "Y" или "N" ;)
Pipl, have you really stolen MPlayer from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/?
I'll be happy with "Y" or "N" answer ;)

> Никто ничего не комуниздил. Да, использованы библиотеки,
> да - я не проверил и недосмотрел и в тех.версии не указал все
>  копирайты, а Алекс - мне не напомнил (в смысле мы оба виноваты:).
Nobody have stolen anything. Yes, we've used libraries, yes - I've not
checked and not looked well and in tech.version (?) haven't mentioned
all the copyrights, and Alex haven't reminded me (I mean we're both
guilty :).

>  Однако подобных целей и в помине не было, собственно, Alex Gankov еще
>  летом в мэйллисте warpmedia СООБЩАЛ о том, что WarpVision БУДЕТ
>  открыт
>  в opensource. Так что, что называется, "ждите официальных
>  пресс-релизов" в теч. сегодняшнего-завтрашнего дня. Естественно, все
>  права авторов mplayer и ffmpeg будут сохранены. Что касается
>  исходников - то я могу сказать, что они будут распространяться на
>  условиях GPL.
However we even thought of such goals [stoling], by the way Alex Gankov
yet in the summer MENTIONED in the warpmedia mailing list that
WarpVision WILL be released as opensource. So look for the official
press release today or tomorrow. Surely, all the rights of the mplayer
and ffmpeg authors will be reserved. What about the sources - I can
tell, they'll be released under GPL.

> Впечатляют две вещи: 1) скорость реакции - я уверен, что среди
>  OS/2-community у OS2.Ru DevTeam есть недоброжелатели, которые в этом
>  поучаствовали. Это грустно. 2) незнание юниксоидов GPL при ссылке на
>  него.
> 3) их активность - так сказать, спасибо за рекламу :)
I'm impressed with two things - 1) the spead of reaction - I'm sure,
that there are [not sure 'bout the word... people which wish bad things
to other people] among OS/2 community in OS2.Ru DevTeam, which
participated in this. That's sad. 3) Absense of the knowledge of GPL
while using it. 3) Their activity - thanks for the advertisings :)