[MPlayer-users] MPlayer vs. WarpVision conflict

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Fri Nov 23 10:39:26 CET 2001

Um 00:06 Uhr am 23.11.01 schrieb Max Alekseyev:

> 1. We do understand your claims and Alex (the author of WarpVision) is
> preparing WarpVision sources for publishing. They will be published as
> soon as possible. Let's leave all technical details until this is
> done.

Go and read and *understand* the GPL. You have to publish the sources *AT
ONCE* you make use of GPL'd Software, not some time in the future.

For example, I go ahead and write my own player and use mplayer
postprocessing code, I have to open _my_ source code the second I use the
GPL'd code from the mplayer-team.

Or I go and _ask_ the mplayer-team, if *they* allow me to use their code
in a closed source project, which means, I am licensing the code from
them, which is allowed by the GPL.

<speculating>
Maybe, if you pay some $currency to the mplayer-team, they will allow the
use of their code in your closed source project.
</speculating>

S!