[MPlayer-users] MPlayer vs. WarpVision conflict

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Fri Nov 23 12:08:52 CET 2001

Hi!

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 12:06:28AM -0800, Max Alekseyev wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> Let me repeat the base points of our conflict.
>
> 1. We do understand your claims and Alex (the author of WarpVision) is
> preparing WarpVision sources for publishing. They will be published as
> soon as possible. Let's leave all technical details until this is done.

OK, some ideas (and thanx for the answer):

1. The author of WarpVision is NOT Alex. As you can see, man page and help
   screen of MPlayer says that author _IS_ Arpi with of course many helps
   from cool guys as well. So the WarpVision should be treated as "OS/2
   port of MPlayer", Alex should be called "who ports mplayer to OS/2" but
   NOT the author!

2. It does not make sense for me Alex to develope a "forked" version of mplayer.
   Join the development and submit patches mplayer to support OS/2 as well.
   It would be better for OS/2 users too, since with this move the OS/2 version
   of mplayer would be up to date while we're developing mplayer ...

> 2. We totally unaccept a way that MPlayer authors chose to let us know
> about our mistake. Instead of contacting Alex they have put a lot of
> "dirt" on their homepage. We cann't and won't tolerate phrases like "They
> will die a dog's death for sure I swear!"

:) You know "flame" is our favourite topic on any forum :) Sorry, but we can't
answer for our letters for a while and we thought you simply ignored us.

But besides this and all of licensing stuffs, the most annoying move of yours
was the fact that WarpVision IS based on mplayer and even a _WORD_ about MPlayer
was not mentioned on pages discussing WarpVision. IMHO even you have failed
about licensig issues it's ill breeding a bit not to write at least a single
word about MPlayer ;-(

> Alex promised to fix the problem in the first reply and asked MPlayer
> authors to remove dirt from their homepage. They rejected. We still insist
> on removing all insults from MPlayer homepage and on using more polite
> words. MPlayer authors have to apologize to Alex.

And Alex has to apologize to us for stealing MPlayer WITHOUT a _SINGLE_ word
about MPlayer and for treating himself WarpVision author. So IMHO it's 1:1.

> 3. WarpVision is not just a port of MPlayer. So please don't speculate on
> this topic anymore. Just wait until WarpVision sources are published.

If you use MPlayer as the "core" of WarpVision it's a port of mplayer somewhat ...

> Thank you!

You're welcome :)
And: instead of flame we should join our forces ...

- Gabor