[MPlayer-users] Why bother with DVD-support

Daniel A. Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Fri Nov 23 21:50:23 CET 2001

Hi folks,

I don't want to offend the developers of mplayer, as I respect them very
much; I'm thoroughly satisfied with the product and I hope to contribute
someday. However, I'd like to ask a "strategic" question:

Why on Earth are you (we) pushing the DVD support? Ogle seems to be a
perfect DVD player with all the bells and whistles (menu-support, gui, cli,
etc.), while mplayer is a wonderful streaming/stored animation player.
All the effort that is currently being put into the (rather buggy and
incomplete) DVD support could be utilized in perfecting the animation player,
development of free codecs, or just consumed as residual free time. :-)

In the *NIX world, it's a longstanding tradition to write tools that serve
ONE purpose and serve it well. Due to the interoperability of programs,
there's no need to intergrate everything into one huuuge program; small is
more beautiful (less buggy, easier to maintain, and so on). All common
components (codecs, xv, etc.) are in libraries anyway, so having ogle and
mplayer on the same system seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Just my $0.02... (Canadian, at that :-)

Cheers,

--
Daniel

PS: Is anyone maintaining the Russian docs? If not, I can probably help you.