[MPlayer-users] Why bother with DVD-support

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Nov 24 00:38:05 CET 2001

Hi!

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 03:50:23PM -0500, Daniel A. Nagy wrote:
> Why on Earth are you (we) pushing the DVD support? Ogle seems to be a
> perfect DVD player with all the bells and whistles (menu-support, gui, cli,

Ogle is buggy and stupid at the moment (well at least from the point of view),
but yes, it's very nice work besides this though (supporting menus, etc).
You've written that write ONE tool for ONE purpose. Let's think about it.
Every player needs video out layer with support for multiple targets,
audio output drivers. So why do you want Ogle to develope libraries for
it? MPlayer already has got these pieces ... Ogle is far from mplayer from
the point of view of video/audio drivers and so.

Also, using core of mplayer there's 'mencoder'. Without DVD support inside
MPlayer, mencoder wouldn't convert your DVD into nice DivX (ehh ...).
And ogle hasn't got conversion support. Other tools for this purpose uses
buggy libavifile which was the main win of mplayer: it doesn't use avifile,
but its own and better and even more versatile demuxer/muxer layer.

> etc.), while mplayer is a wonderful streaming/stored animation player.
> All the effort that is currently being put into the (rather buggy and
> incomplete) DVD support could be utilized in perfecting the animation player,
> development of free codecs, or just consumed as residual free time. :-)
>
> In the *NIX world, it's a longstanding tradition to write tools that serve
> ONE purpose and serve it well. Due to the interoperability of programs,
> there's no need to intergrate everything into one huuuge program; small is
> more beautiful (less buggy, easier to maintain, and so on). All common
> components (codecs, xv, etc.) are in libraries anyway, so having ogle and
> mplayer on the same system seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Agreed BUT ... world goes towards INTEGRATION as you can see ...
Inmagine an OS, for own player for playing DivX,Indeo,ASF,AVI,VCD,DVD etc ...
Yes, write tool for ONE purpose. Our purpose is a MOVIE PLAYER. Simple, isn't
it?

- Gabor