[MPlayer-users] DVD problems

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sun Nov 25 11:08:56 CET 2001

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 05:17:18PM -0500, Daniel A. Nagy wrote:
> After two days of playing with the DVD support of mplayer I was not able to
> make justice to the following problem: the replay is terribly slow (and the
> rate is changing all the time). It doesn't seem to depend on whether I
> switch output drivers or just turn them off.
[...]
> The DVD that causes the problem is the north-american (US/CAN) release of
> "The Matrix": 'THE_MATRIX_16X9LB_N_AMERICA', timestamp 1999/08/02 19:29
>
> Attached comes the output of mplayer.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have access to other DVDs right now. All I can say
> that ogle plays the DVD correctly, so it is not fatally broken.

Strange. I've tried ogle as well, and I can say that MPlayer is FASTER
for playing DVD than Ogle ... [a small note: some people complains about
problems at cracking CSS keys or so, but we're using the same lib (libdvdread)
which is used by Ogle as well ...] I've only one disk as well: The Matrix,
regio coded two. It was even playable on my old AMD K6-200/400 with little
glitches though. Now, it's perfect on my Duron 800 with some about 50%
CPU usage.

- Gabor