[MPlayer-users] re: DVD problems

Daniel A. Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Sun Nov 25 21:17:39 CET 2001

> > ogle plays dvd noticeable faster than mplayer on my celeron 525 with
> > nvidia tnt2 (though still not perfect!)! I would love to know how to
> > speed it up!
>
> Hmm what about doing a test with mplayer in benchmark mode with disabling
> and/or video/audio (RTFM dox) so you can see the differnce and you may
> find out that for example audio output driver caused the slowdown or
> something ...

Gabor,

Please, read my original post on this topic. I turned the video and audio
output off, yet mplayer was not just a little slower than ogle, but rendered
the movie unenjoyable: the slowdown jittered between none and tenfold(!).
So it's definitely not a driver problem. However, I don't claim that it is
an mplayer problem, as it can still happen due to libdvdread and/or
libdvdcss, although in that case we can still fix the bug by a workaround in
mplayer; ogle uses the very same libraries, yet works fast enough (on my
Celeron, at least). So there should be an app-level solution.

Cheers,

--
Dan