[MPlayer-users] pentium4 bench

Felix von Leitner leitner at convergence.de
Sun Nov 25 21:16:21 CET 2001

Thus spake Jan-Frode Myklebust (janfrode at parallab.uib.no):
> 	http://www.intel.com/software/products/eval/

> but maybe I shouldn't have informed about this.. If it's too good, gcc
> might no longer be supported at all as a compiler for mplayer ;)

I have it.  It generates better code than gcc, even for Athlon.
But I don't have a good feeling about it.  It's binary only, and it
installs some license enforcement crapware that I'm really uncomfortable
with.  Also your applications then needs to be linked to another shared
library, so you can detect them easily.

For bzip2, the Intel compiler gave me about 10% more performance than
the old binary I had.  A new binary compiled with gcc3 and -march=athlon
however was just as fast.  I didn't compile mplayer with it, though.
Why would I.  I'm perfectly happy with gcc.

Felix