[MPlayer-users] pentium4 bench

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Nov 25 21:37:38 CET 2001

Hi,

> P4 sucks.  And people know.  I wonder why you bought such a crap
> machine.  Just look at www.divx.com, they just did a poll what CPU
don't worry, it's not mine :)
i'm not rich enough yet to spend 1.3mFt for such thing.
it is bought by a company i work for, as sysadm.

> people have, only 10% have a P4, the rest has Athlons or PIII.  It does
> not make sense to optimize for that broken CPU.
i think it isn't broken, just more RISC-like.

> And what is the effort good for?  To support an architecture that is
> broken by design?  No, thanks (if you ask me).  I suggest you give your
> P4 back and get yourself an Athlon.  SSE2 optimizations work well for
> the P4, and the Hammer (Athlon successor) will have them, too, so
> investing time in SSE2 might look like a good idea.  On the other hand,
> consider SSE support in Athlon XP.  SSE code performs about as well on
> the Athlon XP as normal FPU code does.  I predict that SSE2 code will
> perform as well on the Hammer as FPU code does.  So I suggest we rather
> write good FPU code, then ;)

i'm still interested benchmark result (test files are at mplayerhq.hu ftp)
running on such high-end amd cpus.

i have vary bad memories about amd k6 (our old 3d engine developed on celeron
366 was 4 times slower on amd k6-2 500), i hope their cpus are much better now.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu