[MPlayer-users] Documentation and dumb questions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Nov 30 07:54:02 CET 2001

Hi,

> > > 	I propose a docbook/SGML-based documentation, so it can be easily
> > > searched for content and easily converted to common formats such as
> > this was already proposed, and ended up being thrown in favor of .html.
> >  Polish documentation is partly converted to linuxdoc format, from which
> > .html can be produced, incidentally the style of this html is exactly the
> > same as current general docs.
>
> >  Problem with .sgml was that noone has enough experience with it...
>
> > I think there already is htdig working on mplayerhq, so adding searching
> > would be a metter of putting big sign on main page saying 'Click here to
> > search for answer..' or sth.
>
> 	That's cool. I think the main point is that it gets in a format that
> can be understood, and clearly understood, by the common person so that
> it can help to avoid dumb questions here. But from what I see, the
> documentation has to change its structure. Or maybe not even changing
> the documentation per se, but making a new, parallel, dumbed-down
> documentation full of pictures and such so that users can read it
> without having to understand too many technical concepts.

I can't angree... current documentation is too dumb already, and it's made
for lusers already. for developers/tech people there are tech/ subdir.

Also note that linux is not for full dump lamers and beginners, linux is
something after this level. we shouldn't support really dumb people. if they
even can't read program's messages, then they should go back to windows and
spend few more years there and then try again with linux...

mplayer is not an userfriendly program (yet).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu