[MPlayer-users] linux: stops and continues

Manuel Mollar mm at nisu.org
Fri Nov 30 11:07:02 CET 2001

hi,

I'm running mplayer under linux, scenario:
Athlon 1500 Mhz 512 Mbytes RAM
NVIDIA Riva TNT 64, drivers from NVIDIA
Suse 7.2 (kernel 2.4.4)

I use mplayer only to see divx films, and when playing, periodically it
stops for an instant (less than a second) and then continues.
I have experimented that it occurs aprox every 10 seconds (it's not
periodic) if ultra dma is not active. Activating ultradma with hdparm
-d1 -a8, the problem decreases and mplayer stops only one or two times
per minute.
For me, this is the only problem that separates mplayer from the
perfection, thanks to developers for the work.
Note: on windows, the films that I have tried can be played OK with
microsoft mediaplayer, but I have no plan to install windows in my
computer!