[MPlayer-users] Documentation and dumb questions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Nov 30 13:50:52 CET 2001

Hi,

> > > True. I also vote for a mplayer-newbies list and a strong warning to use
> > > this first.
> > well than ... i vote for mplayer-newbies list too, i think it makes no sense
> > that most developers have to read these useless (for developers) questions
> > and its better for users too as they dont get useless awnsers (for users who
> > are too stupid to read the manual)
>
> OK, then developers should not subscribe that list :) And we can hope users
> can find out the answers in the class of "RTFM" on that list and only post
> to mplayer-users if there's no way to find a solution by list members on
> newbie list :)

ok, then my opinion:

creating a new list has no sense at all. who will be there and who will
answer questions there?
it's the same as #mplayer irc channel. developers were there for long time
but always came user sto ask dumb and/or rtfm questions. finally we moved to
a private channel and left #mplayer for the users. nobody is there, nobody
answering questions there...  i think the same will happen with the -newbies
list. who will subscribe from the set of advanced users ???

the other thing, if you really want the list. (it is no prob for me creating
it):
i think we should create a new list for advanced users, rather than a new
for newbies. why? announcing/advertising a new list takes long. all releases
and homepage and unoffocial homepage mirrors and unofficial forbidden binary
packages have the mplayer-users list subscription info for users.
so, newbies using release versions (don't forgat than newbies know nothing
about CVS) will subscribe to mplayer-users list instead of the newbie list...
so, the question: do you agree, and if so, what should be the name of new
'experts' list?

i also think, that subscription requirement to -exterts list should be a
fast Q&A test already partially coded by atmos. i've collected about 20
questions and 3-5 possible answers for each so users can pass through such
test at mphq web to get the subscription accepted...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu