[Mplayer-users] Subtitles - feature request

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 1 11:12:39 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > 1) charset translation - could be done by mplayer? At this time I must
> > change font definition for each charset. Maybe MPlayer could do this - eg.
> > specify charset (or charset translation file=256byte array) and subtitles
> > will be translated on the fly.
>
> there is a standard tool called 'iconv' which is installed with most distributions,
> which can translate between many many charsets, so you can translate your subtitle
> files instead of bloating mplayer :)

Unfortunately it isn;t so simple. :(

iconv is part of latest glibc, and doesn't work well on all systems.
for example, on my slackware 7 there was only a few codepages supported, and
i didn't have 'iconv' binary at all (but iconv() in glibc works)
in slack 8.0 it's ok.

for gabucino (mdk ???) it doesn't support codepages... (empty database?)

afaik, debian has konwert instead of iconv...

if iconv() could support many codepages, i can add to mplayer.
(-subcp iso-8859-2  for example)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu