[MPlayer-users] rant

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Mon Oct 8 15:24:04 CEST 2001

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:

> > This is obviously not the case, because MPlayer 0.50 compiled with gcc 2.96
> > works very well on my Mandrake 8.1. I tested it on 20-25 differents
> And on 20-25 different hardware configurations and libs versions?
> If so,
> Please send full raport about combinations that work.

He's not making a point in favour of a binary distribution.  He's making a
point that 2.96 builds a working mplayer.

Surely all that is required is a comment that "mplayer is not tested with
the 2.96 compiler - there have been issues with this compiler in the past
- we don't recommend you use it.  Please don't report problems to the
lists until you have confirmed that they also exist when you compile with
2.95 or >=3.0."

I can understand the concern - who needs problems caused from outside.
But all this xxx is CRAP, yyy is SHIT that's all over the docs and list
really grates for me.  I don't think it does the project credit.  Which
seems a shame with such a good player... :

Quality code is hard to write.  Mplayer has bugs, gcc has bugs.
icewm has bugs...

IMHO,
Steve