[MPlayer-users] rant

André Dahlqvist andre.dahlqvist at telia.com
Mon Oct 8 21:07:48 CEST 2001

Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> CPU is one thing. Btw 386 and i686 is only 2 of about 10 possible cpu.
> There are X11, SDL and other library dependencies.

$ apt-cache search vlc
vlc - a free MPEG and DVD player
vlc-alsa - ALSA plugin for vlc
vlc-esd - Esound plugin for vlc
vlc-ggi - GGI plugin for vlc
vlc-glide - Glide plugin for vlc
vlc-gnome - Gnome plugin for vlc
vlc-gtk - Gtk+ plugin for vlc
vlc-qt - Qt plugin for vlc
vlc-sdl - SDL plugin for vlc

> It compiles different for no X, X 3.3.x and X 4.x versions.

Distributions will likely ship with X3.3.x or X4.x in the future, not
both. (although Debian does currently).

> The why do you need another player?

Because mplayer is better.

> btw they both have runtime cpu detection. mplayer don't have.

Ahh, cool. I wasn't aware of that. Maybe you should add that as one
of the reason for not supporting binaries? Something like:

"mplayer does not yet support runtime cpu detection, and that is one of
the reasons why we do not want people distributing binaries of it."
--

André Dahlqvist <andre.dahlqvist at telia.com>