[MPlayer-users] Bad Timing

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Oct 9 11:57:21 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Sheesh.  I'm just catching the tail end of this but...
>
> If you want the distro's to pick up Mplayer you need to allow binaries.
Hey, we do NOT want the distros pick it up. This is the point.
At least, not until mplayer is finished (>=1.0).

> Mplayer is da shit and *could* be the standard Linux media player (no
> shit), no need to worry about your *rep*
mplayer is not a media player. it's a *movie* player.
it's very bad at playing old lowres low-q etc files. xanim kicks ass here,
we don't plan adding such features.
mplayer is for playback vcd, dvd, svcd, divx avis.

btw it's basicly illegal to play asf and divx etc, so i'm sure it will
never be in distros.

> However, if this doesn't change avifile will probably take the glory for
> two reasons.
avifile needs binaries. 9 of 10 people can't compile it.
i was also in that 9 until i've upgraded all that auto* and libtool stuff.

> guess by your comments and wording on your website, your about 16-21
> year olds.
i'm over 23

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu