[MPlayer-users] Re: License

André Dahlqvist andre.dahlqvist at telia.com
Tue Oct 9 15:43:08 CEST 2001

Tom Mraz <t8m at centrum.cz> wrote:

> Yes, Mplayer actually violates the GPL. Because you can't distribute
> anything which is derivative of some GPLed work with different license than
> GPL.

This was a concern I had before, but with the new conditions specified
in the docs I think this is covered. Mplayer's own code (written from
scratch by Arpi & co) is not released under the GPL since they want the
possibility to restrict redistribution of binaries. The code which is
borrowed from other projects are specified as still carrying the license
it had before.

So unless code has been borrowed even for "their own code" I don't see a
violation of the GPL.
--

André Dahlqvist <andre.dahlqvist at telia.com>