[MPlayer-users] Why do I always get "Option -alsa has been removed..." ?

Zoltan Toth Zoltan.Toth at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Oct 11 19:40:33 CEST 2001

Hi all,

First, I'd like to say thanks for this great proggy, guys. Though I have this
annoying problem with v0.50.
I've been using mplayer for a while, I have had version 0.17 and it was working
very well. Today I had a little time so thought I should upgrade my mplayer so
that I don't have to boot windows to watch dvds, and maybe there are other new
things in the new version I can find useful.

I downloaded the bzipped tarball, the libs for dvd playback, codecs, fonts,
compiled, installed, copied, edited the appropriate files, and when I wanted to
test it, all I got was the following:

> MPlayer 0.50  (C) 2000-2001 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS!)
>
> Option -alsa has been removed, new audio code doesn't need it!

I tried everything I could think of. The -nosound option, other audio devices
with -ao, recompiled mplayer with --disable-alsa (I checked the output of
configure, it said it didn't find it). This message just doesn't want to go
away. I figured that I can give any options and input files (even incorrect or
non-existing) to mplayer, it just ouputs this message and quits.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

I have an SB Live! Player 5.1, SuSE Linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.9-ac10. I use the
EMU10K1 driver from opensource.creative.com.

Thanks in advance,

Elek

--
Zoltan Toth                             http://www.ztoth.net
MSc of computer sciences                ICQ#: 54799682