[MPlayer-users] Feature request: play avis while they get encoded (by ffmpeg)?

Michael Hunold M.Hunold at t-online.de
Sun Oct 14 19:53:56 CEST 2001

Hello developers,

I'm using 'ffmpeg' for transcoding VOB to DivX
and of course 'mplayer' for viewing them
afterwards. 8-)

What's currently missing for me is, that 'mplayer'
cannot play these avis while the encoding
is still in progress.

I suppose that after the encoding has finished,
some informations will be added to the header
of the file. Without these informations 'mplayer'
refuses to play these files with the following
remark:

>Playing dms.avi
>Detected AVI file format!
>MainAVIHeader.dwFlags: (2320) HAS_INDEX IS_INTERLEAVED TRUST_CKTYPE
>AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(

So my questions is: is it possible to add the ability to
play avis while they get encoded to 'mplayer' ?

I uploaded a sample file called "while_encoding.avi" and
a textual description to the /MPlayer/incoming on the
ftp server, so that someone
can have a look at what is actually missing in the
header.

Thanks a lot for this great player! Keep on doing the
good work!

CU
Michael.