[MPlayer-users] mpeg2->divx

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Thu Oct 18 01:15:05 CEST 2001

Hi!

> From: Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu>
> And there is something I can't solve:
>
> how do you convert progressive mpeg2 (nominal 29.97fps, really about 24) to
> divx?

	Did you mean 23.97 (NTSC 3:2 pulldown converted FILM) fps?    That
	is rather uncommon - most material I have seen is 29.97fps.

	NTSC video is 29.97 (30000/1001 actually ;))

	I've done quite a bit of conversion from MPEG2 to DIVX (using the
	mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net divx encoder) and it's not too hard (slow
	though ;))

	I have taken NTSC (29.97fps) video (movies from www.archive.org for
	example) and converted to Divx (divxenc).  If that is what you want to
	do I believe I can help with pointers to the tools you'll need and
	some sample scripts that I use as templates.

> progr. mpeg2 is somehow variable fps, but AVI fileformat is constant fps.
> is it done by skipping frames or interlacing them?

	Oh, are you trying to convert from NTSC to PAL frame rates?

	That I do not know how to do - I believe it requires some very
	expensive equipment.   Also the audio needs to be converted and
	I am not sure that can be done easily without altering the pitch.

	Steven Schultz
	sms at 2bsd.com