[MPlayer-users] mpeg2->divx

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Thu Oct 18 04:03:15 CEST 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Arpi wrote:
> how do you convert progressive mpeg2 (nominal 29.97fps, really about 24) to divx?
> progr. mpeg2 is somehow variable fps, but AVI fileformat is constant fps.
> is it done by skipping frames or interlacing them?

It's done by use of RFF/TFF flags to either repeat frames or skip them in
the mpeg2.

Maybe some 'hybrid' mpeg2 are giving you problems, eg vob with combination
of 29.97fps + 24fps material (but 60 fields/sec), or very strange telecine
patterns eg something been done Film->PAL->NTSC (I think, Farscape was
done this way). I guess it's even possible to make truly variable
"framerate" mpeg2's but I have not seen them, only hybrid
60fields/sec+30frames/sec (the anime Sol Bianca is a good example of
this).

I can't think of any easy way to convert such hybrid mpeg2 to AVI.

Most people I've seen converting dvd to divx are teenage pirates who wanna
fit 3 dvd pornomovies on a single CD, so they just deinterlace the
source, rescale to some stupid size like 512x360 and they don't bother
about framerates. Obviously they don't care about quality of the video...

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]