[MPlayer-users] wrong audio chanell and subtitles on DVD playback

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Thu Oct 18 18:21:12 CEST 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Arpi wrote:
> but it's wrong, should be:
> 	-aid id
>               select audio channel [MPG: 0-31 VOB: 128- AVI: 1-99 ASF: 0-127]
>
> before you ask why is vob audio counted from 128 - ask mpeg group.

 I think a user shouldn't care about the mpeg group or what happens in the
dvd-divx-mpeg-avi-whatever. It would be nice if you provided a selection
for the language, independent from the actual file format.
 And a little patch for that (in pseydo C language):

switch( typeof(file) ) {
	case MPG:
		aid += -1;
		if( aid<0 || aid>31)
			print_a_message_and_exit();
		break;
	case VOB:
		aid += 127;
		if( aid<128 )
			print_a_message_and_exit();
		break;
	case AVI:
		if( aid<1 || aid>99 )
			print_a_message_and_exit();
		break;
	case ASF:
		aid += -1;
		if( aid<0 || aid>127 )
			print_a_message_and_exit();
		break;
	default:
		handle_this();
}

with that the user will provide a number starting allways from 1 for the
selection of the audio track.

> if you rtfm (rtf messages) of mplayer, it prints what audio channels it
> found. you can select your one and specify -aid

 Didn't find that info in the messages.

> you should once really RTFM before say docs is sux!

 The problem with the docs is their SIZE. They cover all the things anyone
would ask but it's hard to find the info you are looking for in them. I
have stoped reading them and just grepping when I need info. Ok, I'm not
allways succesfull at finding the info but don't kill me for that.