[MPlayer-users] VCD - problems

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Oct 20 14:06:34 CEST 2001

Hi,

> A friend gave me couple of VCD-s, which ones (according to him) he plays with a desk DVD-player which knows the VCD format as well.
>
> At me it seems to be quite strange, hard to explain, heres a snapshot of it:
>
> ftp://ftp.xss.co.at/pub/Outgoing/vcdprob1.png
>
> The sound is also silly squealing (next to the normal sound)
>
> my command was:
> mplayer -framedrop -vcd 1
>
> mplayer says:
> Encrypted VOB file (not compiled with libcss support)! Read file DOCS/cd-dvd.html

Hmm. Are you sure it's VCD, and not DVD or miniDVD (DVD format on CD) ?

Show me the list of files on the disk.

> I read the vcd part.
>
> hb:/usr/src/MPlayer-20011016# apt-cache search libcss
> libdvdread-dev - Simple foundation for reading DVDs.
> libdvdread1 - Simple foundation for reading DVDs.
> libdvdread2 - Simple foundation for reading DVDs.
> hb:/usr/src/MPlayer-20011016
>
> these ones are all installed now.(libdvdread2 was installed, even)
>
> Do i need to recompile mplayer now?
yes.

> With these options? :
>
> --with-csslibdir=DIR   directory contains libcss.so shared library
> --with-cssincdir=DIR   directory contains libcss header file (css.h)

no. libcss not requires if you have libdvdread.

> on my system these files are non-existent.
> In the README stands libdvdcss. do i need thisone for vcd?
they required only for DVD. VCD doesn't use encryption, afaik.
btw the original 'real' VCD format is very similar to DVD, but the
home-made (on PC) VCD disks are simple mpeg1-on-mode2-track disks.

can you grab a few MB of the disk, and upload to our ftp?
use cdrdao or other prog which know how to dump a mode2 track.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu