[MPlayer-users] Re: [OLD-Mplayer-users] arpi's response to missing codecs.conf

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Oct 21 23:51:25 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Many users have the same question that the
> individual in the email attached below had ...
> wouldn't it be easier to just admit that the
> install process could be a little better?
> That the docs need to be updated with a pretty
> significant install issue?

if you think doc is bad, why don't you write a better?
or send us patch? flaming here is simple but very useless.

> And this exchange:
>
> ===
>
> > /usr/local/share/mplayer doesnt exist either.
> it shouldn't.
>
> ===

i don't understand this

> Hmmm ... I wonder why it could be that this was
> even mentioned?  Maybe because the output from
> your software SPECIFICALLY SUGGESTS IT:

> Reading /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf: can't
> open '/usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such
> file or directory

why is it problem ???
i really don't understand you...

> I know it must be fun to create a web page that
> jumps up and down about how many features your
> software has, but then provide incomplete docs,
why is it incomplete?

> and whine when non-developers have trouble
> getting it to compile and install  ... but
> it just makes you look immature.
ah.

> In the meantime, get over yourself, and provide
> some binaries for common platforms if you really
> are tired of compilation questions.  Better yet,
they are better than binary incompatibility problems...

> consider making your software more aware of its
> run-time environment, and dynamically determine
> and load the code that is appropriate for its
> execution.

yes and also suggest users in the FM to buy a 2ghz
p3 to be able to watch movies...

mplayer is not for lamers. lamers should use oms or xine.
mplayer is fast, but not easy to compile and use.
if you don't like it - don't use it. simple.
if you want things to change - do it not say it.

> For instance, the 'solution' offered in your
> Appendix D:
>
> "* General SIGILL (signal 4):
> Problem: you compiled and run mplayer in different
> machines (for example compiled on P3 and running on
> celeron)
> Solution: compile MPlayer on the same machine where
> you will use it!"
>
> This is OK for early releases, but eventually it
> becomes just a lame excuse ...
you probably has very very fast system...
and you've never knew what is gcc and how to use it...

btw, as i said (but you only flame here, not read mails)
several time s- it's planned. but no more.
it has less than -1000 priority on my todo list.

> > http://mplayer.sourceforge.net/DOCS/codecs.html
> doesnt exist
> we moved away from sourceforge months ago, didn't yet
> noticed?
> www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs.html  (i think, but use
> link on homepage)

you still didn't noticed this move...