[MPlayer-users] make uninstall

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 17:00:09 CEST 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 01:25:11AM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Sunday, 21. October 2001 21:07, Jonas Jermann wrote:
> > I have a suggestion, just for a good design:
> > Why don't you include an "uninstall: ..." in the Makefile?
> >
> could you think of anyone who want to UNINSTALL mplayer? What a crazy idea

First: The user shouldn't be forced to use mplayer. He can install or
    remove the software HE wants (I want mplayer). There should be a easy
    possibility to remove mplayer for those who don't wan't it
    anymore. (We're not M$ which forces the user to use IE...)
Second: The uninstall option can also be used for other things
    like a clean-up and reinstalling afterwards... Of course the
    problem can be solved with make install which overwrites the
    existing files. But that's not very elegant. In other
    projects I upgrade for example I first uninstall and then
    reinstall. It's done like that everywhere (package manager).
Third: It's very easy to include the uninstall option.

Jonas