[MPlayer-users] XV on a Trident Cyberblade

G.F. Duivesteijn g.f.duivesteijn at student.tudelft.nl
Thu Oct 25 18:24:26 CEST 2001

> > Hi,
> >
> > It is Trident Xv driver problem. complain to Xv driver author.
> >
> > > Hello mplayer developers,
> > >
> > > First of all, mplayer rocks! To my humble opinion, it's the best player
> > > available for *nix.
> > >
> > > However, I've a question. On my desktop pc equipped with a voodoo3, the
> > > xv output works outstanding! I get nice smooth scaled movies. On the
> > > laptop, equipped with a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade i1 (rev 106)
> > > the xv output doesn't work well. The movies (352x240) have an offset to
> > > the right leaving a vertical blue bar on the left hand side of 26
> > > pixels wide. When playing a dvd size (720x304) movie, the screen is
> > > splitted into 3 parts. On the left hand side, I see the right hand side
> > > part. On the right hand side, I see the left hand side part. On the
> > > left hand side edge, I see a blue vertical bar. Only a small vertical
> > > part in the center is at the right place.
> > >
> > > The x11 driver works well on the laptop, but is so much slower.
> > >
> > > *** I've read the documentation and I know this Trident chip isn't
> > > mentioned in the xv driver part. ***
> > >
> > > However, the Trident does have XVideo support according to the XFree86
> > > log file:
> > >
> > >      (II) Loading extension XVideo
> > >      (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
> > >
> > > If XVideo is not supported for this videochip, I have no problems with
> > > that. I just watch the movies on the desktop pc. :-)
> > >
> > > Keep on the good work!
> > > Gilbert Duivesteijn
> > >
> > A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
>
> Hello, there!
>
> I've got the same problem w/ the same videochip. I'm using -vo sdl:dga
> (need to run that as root). This is much faster than x11 and even allows
> -fs!
>
> LX

When I use sdl:dga (as root) the screen turns into garbage. I think the
laptop isn't very good at changing video resolutions or the XFree86 dga
driver for the Trident is, like the xv driver, broken too. I'll stick with
the slow x11 driver and use -framedrop on the laptop. And in case I really
want to enjoy smooth video, I'll use the desktop pc with the voodoo3 card. In
time, I'll send an email to the XFree86 team about the Trident Xv issue.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Gilbert Duivesteijn