[MPlayer-users] Debian packaging

Daniel A. Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Sat Oct 27 22:22:31 CEST 2001

Hey there,

This is not a real bugreport, so forgive me the sloppiness, please. I compiled
mplayer-0.50 and decided to make a debian package thereof. Note that this is my
first encounter with mplayer, and I drool in admiration; excellent job, great
product!

However, I noticed two minor problems (and fixed them on the spot): the debian
directory is not up-to date, it still contains information appropriate for version
0.18. The other problem is related to this one. There's a whole bunch of automated
package maintenance software out there (not only debian-specific) that strongly
discourage caps in package names. I think, therefore, that it would be beneficial
to rename the source tree to all-lowercase.

Despite these minor glitches, I find it extremely useful to have the debain directory
in the source tree and facilitate packaging even though the software is not ready
for binary distribution (yet). (debian/rules! :-)

If the maintainer of the debianization is still listening on this list, I'd be glad to
share my modifications with him. If not, I'd be honored to take over his job. I do
have some packaging experience as I have worked as a developer for a company that supported
debian.

Keep going, guys! Great job!

--
Daniel

PS: As you might have guessed, I do speak Hungarian, so feel free to write private messages
in Hungarian to me. Furthermore, I speak Russian (in fact, it's my native language).
As for cyrillic messages, koi8r is most welcome, utf-8 is accepted, latin transliteration is
tolerated and everything else is strongly discouraged. :-) At some point, I might bring the
Russian docs up to date.