[MPlayer-users] QT Cinepak Decoding

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sun Oct 28 17:07:57 CET 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:18:58 -0700 (MST) Mike Melanson <melanson at pcisys.net> wrote:

> 	Just as a thought experiment, can you think of any reason to
> reverse engineer something other than for the purposes of
> interoperability, particularly when applied to computer code?

Yes, to make a competitory product. As I understood the
law text it's mainly for your own proposes, but you are allowed
to charge someone else to do it.
Ie if you are the (legal) owner of some XXX licenced files
you are allowed to reverse engineer the codec (yourself or someone else)
that you can watch those files.
As Qt and some other files are freely distributable it's very easy
to get such files, which makes it legal to reverse engineer them here.

> 	But now that you mention it, the land of Swiss sounds like a
> nice place for a vacation...:)

Sure it is :-)
Sam (one of the authors of vlc) came to switzerland to write libdvdcss.

License tourism isnt uncommon :-)

		Attila Kinali

--
"Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained."