[Mplayer-users] Too slow playback, how to estimate speed

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Sep 1 12:25:25 CEST 2001

On Friday, 31. August 2001 19:06, Petri J. Riipinen wrote:
> Hi there,
[snip]
> So, what does that tell about the 400MHz Crusoe? The picture quality itself
> looks really good, just a bit slow. I'll be damned if that sluggishness
> comes just because of missing mtrr...:(
well mtrr is a big difference in memory bandwidth which is a big thing in
video decoding.
Btw. does the Crusoe support SIMD instructions like MMX, SSE or 3DNOW?
MPlayer make extensive use of these to speed up decoding.
And if possible you should use XVideo (-vo xv) for output, as YUV needs less
bandwidth an this supports hardware scaling/colorspace transform. If no
XVideo give -vo dga -bpp 16 (if you have MMX) or -bpp 15 otherwise. It will
reduce colordepth for dga output which limits memory bandwidth.

--
Best Regards,
	Atmos

_____
Software is like sex: it's better when it's free.
	- Linus Torvalds